8.12.2009

Oh My Biscuits!


I have been feeling really distant from my southern soul lately that I decided to look at some of my favorite recipes to bring me back to my roots. My mom, "momma" if I really want to be authentic.. gave a book of Loretta Lynn's (The Coal Miners Daughter) family cook'n I LOVE THIS BOOK. The recipes are pure and simple. Smokey mountain folks didn't (it is still a very poor community) have much so that used what they grew, canned or what came "a'creep'n" (like a pig or rabbit) on them and were happy and grateful. I love that of the southern soul.

So all this talk of food.. I thought I would share some southern comfort ...Biscuits. For those of you gals that are from So. Cal I know you are going to have a hard time with the shortening thing it is not something we really use out here..but, don't substitute it will not turn out the same!


2 cups self-rising flour
5 tablespoons shortening
1 dash
salt
3/4 cup
buttermilk
1/4 cup butter

Directions
1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2In a large mixing bowl mix the flour, shortening, and salt together.
3Work in shortening with a fork until it looks like meal.
4Add in just enough buttermilk to make a nice stiff dough. If it looks too sticky, add just a little more flour, but do not overwork the dough. Touch it as little as possible.
5Roll out onto a floured board 1/2 inch thick. Cut out biscuits with a floured coffee cup or biscuit cutter. Place onto an ungreased baking sheet.
6Bake until golden brown. Remove from the oven and top each with a pat of butter.

No comments: